Introducing Your PTSA for ARMS
Most parents and guardians actually don't really understand what a PTSA does for your child's school. That is why today you can learn all about what we do and who we are.
Who We Are, What We Do & Why You Should Participate
Hello ARMS Parents & Guardians,
My name is Amanda Weinraub. My daughter is Ally (6th grade Track 1) and I would like to welcome you to this amazing new school. I am the Communications Chair on the Board of your PTSA for ARMS. My role is to manage all the moving parts in order to keep you in the know about the PTSA and what we are doing to support your child, teachers, and school.
I have to be honest, I had a lot of misconceptions about the PTA or PTSA. I thought you had to come to all sorts of meetings. I thought I'd be roped into giving up all sorts of time that I didn't have and I kind of thought I had to be a stay at home mom in order to join. But after becoming a board member, two meetings in, I realized that I really had no idea what the PTSA actually was and what it meant to be a member. We have such a diverse group of busy and caring parents that just want to be involved in order to make our school amazing in many ways.
So, I want to just start off by explaining a little bit about what the PTSA actually is and clear up any misunderstandings you may have about this organization.
Who We Are: The PTSA is a volunteer school association run by the parents, teachers and students. It's a non-profit. We are the voice for all of our children regarding their safety, health, welfare, education, and enrichment.
Your PTSA has elected board members and then surrounding those board members we have our general members, which are compromised of parents, teachers and students.
Currently we have a very diverse group of parents that serve as your board and just over 100 general members.
What We Do: Your PTSA supports and speaks on behalf of your children in our school, in our community, and before government groups and other organizations that make decisions affecting our children. We also help parents develop the skills they need to raise and protect their children.
In addition to the above we raise money, we host a variety of events that the school couldn't otherwise afford, we support our teachers through lunches and other forms of appreciation, and we provide additional education for parents that pertain to their middle school children. It's pretty amazing all that we accomplish each year.
Why You Should Care: Right now our school is brand new and we are in the process of growing our PTSA membership. But, before I invite you to join us, I'd like to share with you what the benefits are to you, your child and your school as well as dispel any myths.
1. You NEVER have to come to a meeting if you don't want to, but you still get a ton of benefits. Hopefully that is some relief.
2. You do have a VOICE! This means if you do want to come to our meetings, volunteer, and participate. You get to share your opinions, vote on important topics, and add to the conversation as we move through this year and years to come.
3. You get to KNOW what is going on. There is no better way to know what's happening in your child's school and your child's community. The PTSA supports all kinds of fun events, we also raise money throughout the year that go directly back to the school and the PTSA to provide amazing opportunities for parents, teachers and students.
4. CONNECT with other parents and families. We are so lucky to live in such a diverse community and this is a great way to get to know other parents and families. Community is so important to our well-being, especially in such a digitally driven world. This is a fabulous way to get off your phone and into your life with other people right in your child's school neighborhood.
5. Be a ROLE MODEL. No matter what your involvement whether it big or small, you are demonstrating to your child that education is important and that you care about their school experience.
So, with all that said, Tuesday night (Sept 10th) right before Curriculum Night from 5:30-6:00 pm we will have a table set up with our PTSA board members available to answer any additional questions, explain even more benefits to joining our community and accepting memberships. (Please bring cash or checks.) Memberships are $12 per parent/guardian and $10 per student.
Now some of you may already know you are ready to join your ARMS PTSA. If that is the case, please click here to join and you will be redirected to our member hub store where you can purchase your membership. Once you become a member you will be able to join our member hub and be in the know of what is going on plus so much more.
Thank you so much for learning more. We truly hope you will join us in helping create an amazing and strong PTSA for ARMS. Our principal has already stated, "When you have a strong PTSA you have a strong school." Our kids deserve it!
Please feel free to reach out to me with any additional questions or needs. I am always here to help My email address is: email@example.com
Here's to an Amazing Year, Amanda Weinraub, Communications Chair